Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Katie's Questions...

I was asked by my Aunt Katie to find out some information on her family.  She gave me some clues to follow:

My Mother's info:
Maiden name: Dorothy MaryAnn Johnson
Married name: Dorothy MaryAnn Johnson Martin
Birthday: October 1923
Birthplace: Forestburg, South Dakota
My Father's info:
Name: William Raley Martin, Jr.
Birthday: February 1923
Birthplace: San Diego, California
My sister and I went to an Irish Celtic Festival and found out the following:
Family Language: Gaelic
Family Crest: Cameron
My Mom is: Norwegian and 1/32 Cherokee
My Dad is: Irish and English
 
Martin and Johnson are very common last names so I wanted to make sure I had the right families starting out.  Katie sent me some more details:
 

1) 12 kids in my Moms' family:
Sisters: Harriet and Reva
Brothers: Bud, Willard, Fitch and Monty
My sister is trying to remember the rest.
Mom always went by Mary
2) My moms' parents were:
Dad: Abraham Johnson
Mom: Dorothy Mary Ann Johnson (Johnson was her married name)
3) My Dads' parents names were:
Dad: William Raley Martin, Sr.
Mom: Margaret Anna Flinn-Martin
 
So, that is where I started.  Katie wanted to know her heritage and if she really had Cherokee in her.  I was curious to see if the information she received from the Celtic Festival was correct as well.

2 comments:

  1. Tessa...
    Weird "coincidence" in my quickie Google search for my grandma's maiden name to see if my blog popped up on the search, and I find your blog. This post is my family. My grandma is Margaret Anna Flinn and all I had on your mom is her name, birthdate and place. I also have the names of 5 children for William Martin Jr and Mary Ann Johnson, the oldest is around my age. And I'm definitely much older than you! I'm glad to share what I have with that part of the family if you want to e-mail me at diane dot cramer at juno dot com.

    Another weird coincidence...I'm also a stamper!

    I've never come across this blog before...I'm going to have to check out your stamping and scrapping blogs as well!

    Contact me at my e-mail...
    Diane Martin Cramer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa...

    I'm back, after reading this post several times and talking with my dad, who is William Raley Martin Jr's brother. I now realize that when you say "my mother..." and "my father..." you are giving your Aunt Katie's words, not your own.

    So. What that means is this. Since my dad and Katie's dad are brothers, Katie and I are first cousins. I have traced much of the Martin and Flinn ancestry and am happy to share, if you or she would like it.

    Also, an aside. There is a faction in the Martin family... distant cousins of mine... who are firmly convinced that one of the Martin ancestors married a part Cherokee woman. This has been disproved, but the legend dies hard in the stubborn Martin family. I don't know if that may be where the Cherokee connection might have been.

    E-mail me if you would like more info
    diane dot cramer at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete